[AniMov] Query

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
Wed Oct 30 22:21:37 CET 2013

Hi Bruce,

a while ago we made a plugin for QGIS that does exactly what you need,
is called "triangulation". I thas not been ported (yet) to qgis 2.0,
but will work on qgis 1.8.

It does not require R
.

Cheers

-- Giovanni --

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Bruce Miller <batsncats at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to derive new points or a line from a given angle.
>
> My data points will be from radio tracking bats at night.
> The 3 ground crews (also an additional one in the sky on a plane) recording
> radio tag values and signal strengths..
> What I need to do is use a GPS point (location of the survey crew radio
> receiver that is tracking) when they detect a transmitter on a bat and add
> the direction of that signal.
>
> So if Team 1 is a point X-Y and has a location of the transmitter recorded
> at ± 211° I need to be able to draw a line from the base point where they
> were X-Y (via GPS) and set a new point out some 10-20 km at that 211°angle.
>
> As I will have the tracks from all survey crews these lines from each base
> location when signals are detected with the direction angle determined
> I can "triangulate" where the three lines intersect to estimate the location
> of the bat (transmitter).
> Apparently Near will work but only with an ArcInfo license and I do not have
> that license only Arc Editor.
> Is there a way to do this using R.  I assume so but do not know where to
> fdind it.
>
> Bruce

Giovanni Manghi
Faunalia.pt
Sistemas de Informação Geográfica Open Source
Portugal

Web: http://www.faunalia.pt
Email & Jabber: giovanni.manghi at faunalia.pt
PGP Key available