[AniMov] Using R: AdehabiatHR: passing a different numeric value for the smoothing parameter to different individuals

Iris Dröscher iris.droescher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 06:11:51 CET 2013

Hello,

I plan to use the root-n bandwidth estimate for my Kernel homerange and
Kernel overlap calculations and this bandwidth estimate varies between
individuals.

How can I pass different numeric values for the smoothing parameters in
AdehabitatHR to different individuals?

A.)

I created a SpatialPointsDataframe (LiMa):

  coordinates      id

1   (237.5, 186.5)  Lizzy

2     (233.5, 188)  Lizzy

3     (230.5, 192)  Lizzy

etc.

127   (207, 190.5) Malcom

128   (207, 190.5) Malcom

129     (214, 176) Malcom

etc.

How could I set a different value for h for each individual (e.g. h=8.2 for
Lizzy, h=9.1 for Malcom)?

I tried the following, which unfortunately does not work:

Kernel  <- kernelUD(LiMa[,1], h=c(8.2, h=9.1))

kerneloverlap(LiMa[,1], method = "UDOI", percent = 95, h=c(8.2, h=9.1))

B.)

Alternatively, I created a SpatialPointsDataframe (LiMa) with an additional
column for the smoothing parameter:

  coordinates      id   h

1   (237.5, 186.5)  Lizzy 8.2

2     (233.5, 188)  Lizzy 8.2

3     (230.5, 192)  Lizzy 8.2

etc

127   (207, 190.5) Malcom 9.1

128   (207, 190.5) Malcom 9.1

129     (214, 176) Malcom 9.1

etc

I tried the following, which unfortunately does not work either:

Kernel<-kernelUD(LiMa[,1], h=LiMa[,2])

kerneloverlap(LiMa[,1], method = "UDOI", percent = 95, h=LiMa[,2])

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me out with that problem.

Best regards,

Iris