[AniMov] Home Range plugin

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:19:12 CET 2012

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:08:35 +0900
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Il 05/11/2012 17:34, Anne Ghisla ha scritto:
> > It took much more time for Clément to write a stable, reliable set
> > of algorithms in R. I would not underestimate the time needed to
> > develop a production-ready solution.

> Sure, I'm not talking about *everything*. IMHO, what is badly missing
> from the QGIS toolset is the kernel. Of course if one wants to use all
> the wonderful functions by Clément one has to stick to R.

Well, kernel algorithms (kernelUD function in adehabitat implements two
of them, with a set of parameters) are not the simplest of all the ones
available in adehabitat.
I am trying to be objective wrt the complexity of the work ahead. The
underlying mathematical and statistical concepts imply more than
basic Python programming skills. It could be one of the reasons why
the kernel calculation in QGIS toolset is still missing.

That said, I still believe that the fastest and simplest solution is to
rewrite the plugin for Sextante and keep R algorithms, unless someone is
available for the full Python reimplementation under a new name (e.g.
"pyHomeRange" ).

Anyone interested is welcome to contact me and this list for details.

All the best,

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla