[AniMov] Fw: [R-sig-Geo] SAS to R translation help wanted - filtering of inaccurate satellite data

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:31:06 CET 2011

Hello all, and sorry for cross-posting,

a script for the filtering of inaccurate relocation data has been
developed in SAS by the USGS Alaskan team, and they wish to rewrite it
in R. See below for more information.

best,
http://gis.cri.fmach.it/ghisla/

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:56:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Anthony Fischbach <afischbach at usgs.gov>
To: r-sig-geo at r-project.org
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] SAS to R translation help wanted

Satellite data collection has revolutionized our understanding of animal
movmement.
Many relocations obtained by satellite data collection suffer large
inaccuracies and must be filtered.
Carla Freitas has contributed an algorithm for filtering such tracking
data (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/argosfilter/).  For years
we have used on an alternative algorithm written in SAS
(http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/spatial/douglas.html).  To
better serve the wildlife tracking community, we wish to translate this
Douglas algorithm from SAS and offer it as a function in the
'argosfilter' R package.

For this translation effort we wish to contract help.
Interested parties, please contact me directly.

-----
Tony Fischbach, Wildlife Biologist
Walrus Research Program
Alaska Science Center