[AniMov] kernelUD error

Hazel, Julia julia.hazel at jcu.edu.au
Sun Mar 6 08:54:56 CET 2011

Dear Clément and Paolo,

Thank you very much for quick and helpful replies, giving me plenty to think about and work on.

At this stage UDs serve as a helpful tool for exploring my data. In this I can simply assign NA for rare instances of 'animal that did not move' during an arbitrary short period.

In reality the animal was not stationary but during some periods it moved less than my tracking system could record. From a biological perspective it would be nice to assign a 'pseudo-kernel' or maybe just guesstimate a small radius... cannot foresee a rigorous way to estimate this. Also recognise that my 'locations' derived from a passive acoustic array will not support strict interpretation of UD probabilities... but getting beyond the scope of this email!

Many thanks again,
Julia