[AniMov] How to use GPS coordinate data in adehabitatHR

Clément Calenge clement.calenge at oncfs.gouv.fr
Wed Jun 29 08:35:27 CEST 2011

Dear Eduardo,

> I am new to using adehabitatHR. I have a very simple question that
> neither the vignette of adehabitatHR nor Google could answer, so may
> you can help. I want to estimate home ranges using the function mcp.
> My data consists of individual ids and their locations in a Lat + Long
> format in a .csv file, as follows:
>
> ID          Lat            Long
> X      45.85711  170.51833
>
> The question is: Do I have to convert my Lat/Long coordinates to
> another metric to estimate home ranges using mcp? If so, how do I proceed?

Depending on your needs, you may have to convert your coordinates to
another system or not. If you just need to calculate the coordinates of
the vertices of the MCP (e.g. for habitat analyses, i.e. just to
identify the places of your study area located in the home range of an
animal), you do not have to convert your coordinates. On the other hand,
if you plan to use the home-range size calculated by this function, you
have to (see the arguments unin and unout on the help page of the
function mcp: the units of the coordinates should be in meters or
kilometers; not decimal degrees).
To change the projection system, you can have a look at the package
proj4 in R or to try to do this with a GIS.
HTH,

Clément Calenge

--
Clément CALENGE