[AniMov] kernelUD estimates and location probabilities

Rafael Mares crm53 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 18:09:19 CET 2011

Dear all

I hope this makes sense, as I'm not entirely familiar with the
concepts: I'm trying to estimate the probability of locating an
individual at specified coordinates, given an estimated utilization
distribution (kernel) for that individual. I've had a look at the
adehabitat (version: 1.8.3) documentation, but haven't been able to
find anything referring to this particular situation.

In more detail, I've estimated a 3 month utilization distribution for
an individual, and I would like to know where that individual's
locations on a given week lie in relation to the estimated kernel and
obtain a probability for each location. My guess is that the function
kernelUD is already estimating these probabilities for each cell in a
grid (or something along those lines), but I have no idea how to
access that information. I've tried: as.numeric(kernel$individual$UD),
but I'm not entirely sure if I'm on the right track.

If there was a function or automated way to obtain these
probabilities, that would be great, as I'm working with a data set for
16 individuals over 12 years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rafael

Rafael Mares