[AniMov] vFractal port - was Google Summer of Code 2009 proposal

Anne Ghisla FEM anne.ghisla at iasma.it
Tue Jul 13 09:09:09 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Vilis Nams <vnams at nsac.ca> wrote:
> Anne,
>  I will help you if I can. When you mean "VFractal" do you mean specifically the algorithm for the VFractal estimator, or do you mean generally all of the estimators that the program Fractal calculates?

Thanks a lot!
sorry, I meant the whole Fractal; for SoC we chose only part of it
because of the relatively tight schedule.

>  Also, Fractal currently is written in Delphi, which is a version of object-oriented Pascal. I am not sure how useful this will be to you, since R is not object-oriented. However, if it will be useful I can send it to you. I have ~40 modules in that program, some of which deal with analyses and some of which deal with the user-interface. It might be a bit difficult for someone to disentangle the useful parts. Should I just send you the whole thing or parts of it?

I'd like to get the whole bunch. May I ask for explanation where code
is not clear enough for me?
As you point out, the port will be almost a rewrite, because of the
different nature of the two languages. What I aim to keep is the logic
and the result of ~15 years of testing. Of course I will notify you of
any backportable bugfix.

thanks again,
Anne

--