[AniMov] HomeRange plugin - installation problem

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 10:03:12 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 23:52 -0500, Mathieu Ouellette wrote:
> Hi,

> I'm a newbie with Quantum GIS (I got it 2 days ago) and I probably
> have a very newbie problem.
>

> I have a problem with the installation of the HomeRange plugin. I get
> the following error message: "Unable to determine R version from the
> registery. Calling the command 'R RHOME' does not return anything.
> This might be because R.exe is nowhere in your Path."
>

> I use Windows XP, QGIS 1.3.0. "Mimas" and R 2.9.1. I also installed
> Python, R packages rgdal and adehabitat and rpy2 as stated in the
> install file of the HomeRange_plugin (I must admit I only have a vague
> idea of what is Python and rpy2 are). However, in the QGIS Wiki page
> of HomeRange plugin, it is written that "libraries MUST be installed
> with the OSGeo4W installer". Maybe it is the source of my problem,
> because I have not use OSGeo4W to install the previous items (in fact
> I still don't know how to use it and I have so much to learn in the
> open source gis world). Does anyone have an idea of what could be the
> problem?

Hi Mathieu,

the RHOME problem is quite common, as the R installer often fails in
adding the environment variable to the system. This means that other
programs (rpy2) don't know where R is installed and can't call it.
You can solve the RHOME issue by adding the path to R installation (e.g.
C:\Programs\R\R-2.9.1\bin) to the Environment variables, calling it
"RHOME":
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#How-do-I-set-environment-variables_003f

the dependencies are indeed the greatest difficulty of HR_plugin
install, especially on Windows, sorry...

QGIS can be installed either as standalone program
http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/win32/QGIS-1.3.0-3-No-GrassSetup.exe

either via OSGeo4W installer, that offers also other programs
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

The standalone installation has advantages and disadvantages. It allows
you to use the system's Python and have a better control on all
programs, but requires you to keep an eye on all dependencies and pay
attention when upgrading each of them.
The OSGeo4W installer allows you to install QGIS, Python and rpy2 all
together, except R that needs to be installed separately. The upgrades
are smoother, but the Python it uses is its own, not the system's
Python. So if you install some packages for the system's Python, QGIS'
Python won't use them.

I hope this explanation gives some light on the topic :) if not, feel
free to ask for more info!

regards,

0< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - http://www.asciiribbon.org
Per favore non mandatemi allegati in formati proprietari
Please do not send attachments in proprietary formats
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Meglio usare formati standaridzzati e documentati
Better use standard open formats
(.odt, .txt, .html, .pdf, .shp, dump SQL)
Standard UNI CEI ISO/IEC 26300:2007