[AniMov] Shape-files to gpx or any other Gamin file format

Damiano G. Preatoni prea at uninsubria.it
Tue Feb 23 09:21:22 CET 2010

In un messaggio del Monday 22 February 2010, Breitbach, Nils ha scritto:
> Dear Community,
>
> I am looking for the best way to convert shape-files into gpx-files or any
>  other file type that can be read by Garmin's MapSource software. On the
>  net one can find many different ways often incorporating different
>  external software. Since I do not want to add more and more sources of
>  errors by using more and more external sofware, I would like to do it with
>  R. Now I would like to incorporate as few functions and/or conversions as
>  possible.
>
> My aim is to get shapes (point-shapes and if possible also polygon- and
>  line-shapes) back into my Garmin GPS device. I trust R more than any other
>  external software. Any ideas for that?

You're right about trusting R :)

Try writeOGR (package: rgdal)

Basically, you need to have your data as a spatialWhateverDataframe (I mean,
spatialPolygonsDataFrame, spatialLinesDataFrame, spatialPointsDataFeame, read
the sp package documentation... sp is a dependency of rgdal).

You can then write your sp structure like you normally do with a shapefile.
i.e. using writeOGR.

Hope This Helps

--
From Sharp minds come... pointed heads.
		-- Bryan Sparrowhawk

Unità di Analisi e Gestione delle Risorse Ambientali
Dipartimento Ambiente-Salute-Sicurezza
Università degli Studi dell'Insubria
Via J.H. Dunant, 3 - 21100 Varese (ITALY)

tel +39 0332421538 fax +39 0332421446
http://biocenosi.dipbsf.uninsubria.it/
ICQ: 78690321 jabber: prea at jabber.org skype: prea.net
Please do not send attachments in proprietary formats
Use the UNI CEI Standard ISO/IEC 26300:2006
O< stop html mail - http://www.asciiribbon.org