[AniMov] Shape-files to gpx or any other Gamin file format

Breitbach, Nils breitbach at uni-mainz.de
Mon Feb 22 19:52:59 CET 2010

Dear Community,

I am looking for the best way to convert shape-files into gpx-files or any other file type that can be read by Garmin's MapSource software. On the net one can find many different ways often incorporating different external software. Since I do not want to add more and more sources of errors by using more and more external sofware, I would like to do it with R. Now I would like to incorporate as few functions and/or conversions as possible.

My aim is to get shapes (point-shapes and if possible also polygon- and line-shapes) back into my Garmin GPS device. I trust R more than any other external software. Any ideas for that?

Cheers,

Nils

Nils Breitbach, Dipl.-Biol.
Institut für Zoologie, Abt. 5: Ökologie