[AniMov] basic use of the R project for home range analyses

Clément Calenge clement.calenge at oncfs.gouv.fr
Fri Feb 12 09:32:18 CET 2010

Dear Franco,

> So, basically I would like to use coordinate data from GPS to produce home
> range estimates, including figures, and my question is: is there a step by
> step manual for R project to proceed with such analyses?

A good place to start is the Animove "how to":
https://wiki.faunalia.it/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=public:animove_howto
It describes how to install the QGIS plugin for home range estimation.
If you want to use adehabitat as such (i.e. without any QGIS interface),
you first have to learn how to use R. There are several good manuals
available at this URL: http://cran.univ-lyon1.fr/other-docs.html
The Animove "how to" also describes how to use adehabitat without
interface, showing the R code needed for various home range estimation
methods. Another good place to start is to type:

library(adehabitat)
demo(homerange)

within R. You can then browse the R code of the demo and look at the
help pages of the functions used in the demo.
Hope this helps,

Clément Calenge

--
Clément CALENGE