[AniMov] Clipping area from home range estimates

Maren Huck maren_huck at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:10:21 CEST 2009

Hi Tim,

Perhaps you should try the adaptive local convex hull
method proposed by Wayne Getz (Getz WM, Fortmann-Roe S, Cross PC, et al. (2007) LoCoH: nonparametric kernel methods for constructing home ranges and utilization distributions. PLoS ONE 2: e207. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0000207). It seems to
represent home range use much better than kernels, and you don't have
the awkward business of chosing the right bandwidth (Huck M, Davison J and Roper TJ (2008) Comparison of two sampling protocols and four home range estimators using radio-tracking data from urban badgers. Wildl Biol 14: 467-477). The only problem:
If you have many data points it might take lots of time. In adehabitat
LoCoHs are called NNCH.

Good luck,
Maren

Maren Huck