[AniMov] Irregular time lag

Martin Patenaude-Monette mpatenaudemonette at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 06:11:45 CET 2009

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of details of my last e-mail. I'm working on feeding
habitat selection of Ring-Billed Gull during the nidification period. During
this period, gulls travel from the colony to feeding sites, as far as 65 km,
and come back, 1 to 5 times a day. Gulls can stay only few minutes at a
feeding site. The aim of our study is to link habitat selection and optimal
foraging: we want to determine the energetic benefits linked to each habitat
category and to determine the energetic costs linked to feeding sites in the
gulls' home range during the whole nidification period. Our hypothesis is
that gulls select feeding habitats so that their energetic benefits are
optimized. So, we predict, for example, that feeding sites used far from the
colony must present higher energetic benefits.

We are working with good resolution maps of agricultural boards, urban and
suburban habitats. We have added to these maps pluviometry data, energetic
benefits data for each habitat category, etc. First, we want to determine
the scale(s) at wich occurs habitat selection, with first passage time
(FPT). Second, we are thinking to build Cox proportional hazard models (CPH
models) with residence time as response variable vs. distance from the
colony, habitat category, energetic benefits, etc., as predictable
variables.

I wonder about processing FPT with "adehabitat" and my time lag: should I
work with 4min time lag?

We can continue this discussion in January!
Thank you for your help and happy holidays,

Martin Patenaude-Monette
M.Sc. Candidate

Université du Québec à Montréal
Montréal, Québec