[AniMov] getverticieshr with lev=100

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:13:15 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 10:59 -0500, Corrie Curtice wrote:
> This might be a dumb novice question, but why can't I get the 100%
> isopleth with getverticieshr?
>
> When I try this:
> kvtmp <- getverticeshr(ud, lev = 100)
>
> I get this error:
> Error in re[[i]] : subscript out of bounds
>
> Is that just not something that should be done? 99 and all others work
> fine.  UD was created with kernelUD(xy, id, grid=100, h="href"), on a
> single "animal" (really several animals in one area, but I am
> interested in the population as a whole).
>
> Thanks for any guidance.

Hello Corrie,

first of all, no worries: there's no dumb question about homerange
estimation ;)

about the error:
- from a theoretical point of view, the 100% isopleth of the kernel is
not finite, because the area where you have 100% of probability to
encounter an animal is actually the whole world.
- from a programming point of view, the isopleth goes far beyond the
grid limits and therefore the "subscript out of bounds" error is raised.
Maybe it will be useful that the code raise a warning when attempting
the extraction of 100% kernel isopleth, instead of the generic error
that raises also with lower isopleths that are partially outside the
grid boundaries.

hope this helps,
Anne