[AniMov] Movebank - connecting data with analyses online

Roland Kays rkays at MAIL.NYSED.GOV
Thu May 15 14:44:38 CEST 2008

Dear Animovers,

We have recently started Movebank, an online resource for analyzing animal movement data and establishing collaborations to expand our science and conservation reach through shared analyses.  Our basic strategy is to
organize tracking data by housing it in our database and by linking to other databases, and then to connect these data to analysis and visualization tools through web services.

Scientists using Movebank can keep their data totally private or share it with the broader community. A rough outline of our ideas can be found at www.movebank.org.  We expect to have something online ready for users in the fall of 2008.

We are very impressed with the adehabitat R package and Animove group and would love to work with you to integrate some of your tools into this scheme.  I see some mention of web-based analysis in your archives but it refers to a dead link (http://locoh.palary.org).  Is there any other work in progress along these lines?

In Jan08 we had a small meeting where we started some collaborations to initiate the database and integrate three analyses through web services.  We'll be having a followup in Amsterdam on 28-29 August.  This might be a good opportunity to kick-off some collaborations with Animovers.

what do you think?
-Roland Kays (New York State Museum) and Martin Wikelski (Max Planck Institute for Ornithology)

Roland Kays, Ph.D.
Curator of Mammals
New York State Museum
CEC 3140, Albany, NY 12230