[AniMov] H value smoothing factor

Wayne Getz getz at nature.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 17 14:12:09 CET 2007

Hi Amanda:

Have you thought about using our nonparametric kernel method LoCoH.
It is much superior to the kernel methods you are using.  See
http://locoh.cnr.berkeley.edu/.

Wayne

>Hello,
>I am a graduate student at the University of Hawaii and I have been tracking
>groupers in both Hawaii and Moorea French Polynesia.  I am using ArcView
>animal movement extension to analyzing my data and was hoping someone could
>help me with a few questions.
>  I am I am looking at Kernel analysis  and was wondering about ad hoc H
>values.  When I am comparing kernels for fish from different sites (ex
>Hawaii and Moorea), should I average the ad hoc H values I get for the sites
>and use the averaged ad hoc h value for my analysis, as a whole?
>When comparing multiple sites should I average (use a common) h values
>amongst all sites?
>And if I use a common H value should I average H values or is there a better
>way to come up with a common H value?
>I am using ad hoc values because my computer freezes every time I try to do
>least squares regression.
>Any help would be appreciated!!!!
>Thanks,
>Amanda
>
>--

   Professor Wayne M. Getz
   Department Environmental Science Policy & Management
   140 Mulford Hall
   University of California at Berkeley
   CA 94720-3112, USA

   Campus Visitors: My office is in 5052 VLSB

   Fax:    (1-510) 642-7428
   Office:    (1-510) 642-8745
   Lab:  (1-510) 643-1227
   email:  getz at nature.berkeley.edu