[AniMov] H values and kernel analysis

Amanda Leilani Meyer amandame at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 17 08:28:05 CET 2007

Hello,
I am a graduate student at the University of Hawaii and I have been tracking groupers in both Hawaii and Moorea French Polynesia.  I am using ArcView animal movement extension to analyzing my data and was hoping someone could help me with a few questions.
 I am I am looking at Kernel analysis  and was wondering about ad hoc H values.  When I am comparing kernels for fish from different sites (ex Hawaii and Moorea), should I average the ad hoc H values I get for the sites and use the averaged ad hoc h value for my analysis, as a whole?
When comparing multiple sites should I average (use a common) h values amongst all sites?
And if I use a common H value should I average H values or is there a better way to come up with a common H value?
I am using ad hoc values because my computer freezes every time I try to do least squares regression.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
Amanda

Amanda Meyer