[AniMov] H value smoothing factor

Amanda Meyer amandame at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 17 07:19:30 CET 2007

Hello,
I am a graduate student at the University of Hawaii and I have been tracking
groupers in both Hawaii and Moorea French Polynesia.  I am using ArcView
animal movement extension to analyzing my data and was hoping someone could
help me with a few questions.
 I am I am looking at Kernel analysis  and was wondering about ad hoc H
values.  When I am comparing kernels for fish from different sites (ex
Hawaii and Moorea), should I average the ad hoc H values I get for the sites
and use the averaged ad hoc h value for my analysis, as a whole?
When comparing multiple sites should I average (use a common) h values
amongst all sites?
And if I use a common H value should I average H values or is there a better
way to come up with a common H value?
I am using ad hoc values because my computer freezes every time I try to do
least squares regression.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
Amanda