[AniMov] k-NNCH Development

Scott Fortmann-Roe scottfr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 18:26:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am working at the Getz lab in UC Berkeley to extend and improve the
k-NNCH script included with AniMov. The k-NNCH method (also known as
LoCoh) has several advantages over other methods of home range
determination (such as Minimum Convex Polygon and kernel methods) as
it handles 'sharp'  terrain such as lakes and fences very well and
converges to the true area represented by the data as the number of
data points increase.

I would like to get some feedback from the community about this development:

a) Is there anyone else actively working on the k-NNCH script? I don't
want to step on anyone's toes.

and b) What features would the community find useful in an enhanced
script? Currently mooted plans include creating an R GUI using tcltk;
implementing some form of ArcGIS integration; and making the basic R
script more powerful with, for instance, the ability to automatically
try out different values of k to locate critical boundary points that
radically change home range coverage.

We are very open to adding other features to the script that you would
find useful. Just let us know what they are!

Any feedback on development would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott Fortmann-Roe