[AniMov] adehabitat and mcp.area

Bøthun Gjermund gjermund.Boethun at imr.no
Thu Jan 26 09:20:22 CET 2006

Hello

I'm using adehabitat to analyse satellite telemetry data from harbour porpoises. I have also played with different R-packages as  map, maptools and different  sp-packages.
I want to estimate homerange with mcp.area or kernelUD.
My data are georeferenced (latitude/longitude) but I think I need to project the data into a projection with metric units.

My question is how can I transform my data from lat/lon into a format accepted as input for mcp.area?

Example R-code:

# EW and NS are latitude longitude in decimaldegree.
xy=mapproject(EW,NS,proj="conic",param=35)
cp=mcp.area(data.frame(x=xy$x,y=xy$y),rep("A",length(xy$x)),unin="km",unout="m2") #or unin="m"
plot(seq(20,95,by=5),cp$A,type="b")

Regards,
Gjermund Bøthun
Forskningsgruppe sjøpattedyr/ Marine Mammals Research Group
Havforskningsinstituttet / Institute of Marine Research
Boks 1870 Nordnes / P.O. Box 1870 Nordnes
N-5817 Bergen, Norway
Nordnesgaten 33
Tlf. / Phone : (+47) 5523 8619 / 8500
Faks / Fax : (+47) 5523 8531