[AniMov] kernel home range estimates

Wayne M Getz getz at nature.berkeley.edu
Sun May 22 00:08:46 CEST 2005

Hi Kristin:

You might also want to try LoCoH and compare it to the Kernel HR.
See http://nature.berkeley.edu/~alyons/locoh/.

Wayne

>Dear AniMove mailing list,
>
>I posted the following email to the Conservation GIS list, and a
>member of that
>list suggested trying AniMove.
>
>Several of my advisor's students are involved in wildlife telemetry
>projects and
>we hope to analyze our data using kernel home range analyses.  We
>would like to
>develop a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel in order to illustrate
>exactly how the
>process of kernel analysis works.  Our goal is to write up the excercise and
>post it on the web as a teaching tool.  However, we are having difficulties
>getting the calculations to come close to output from such software
>programs as
>KernelHR and Home Range Extension.  We could use some assistance in
>determining
>if we are calculating the correct parameters in the correct order.
>
>If there are any programmers out there who could help us with our
>calculations,
>or folks who are knowledgeable about the calculations of kernel home
>ranges who
>would be interested in reviewing our spreadsheet, please let me know directly
>at kwatrous at uvm.edu.
>
>Many thanks!
>Kristen Watrous
>

>--
>Vermont Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
>University of Vermont
>328 Aiken Center
>Burlington, VT 05401
>(802) 656-3388

   Professor Wayne M. Getz
   Department Environmental Science Policy & Management
   201 Wellman Hall
   University of California at Berkeley
   CA 94720-3112, USA

   Campus Visitors: My office is in 5052 VLSB

   Fax:    (1-510) 642-7428
   Office:    (1-510) 642-8745
   Lab:  (1-510) 643-1227
   email:  getz at nature.berkeley.edu