[AniMov] Re: hi

Sander Oom sander at oomvanlieshout.net
Sun Jan 9 16:12:35 CET 2005

Hi Paulo and other Animove users,

Best wishes for the new year. Hopefully we can really develop our
collaboration and Animove in 2005!

I have been busy submitting a big grant proposal and finalizing the
year. We had our summer holidays here, so I also needed to wrap up.
Interesting to be in a country were the start of a new work year
coincides the real new year. Different psychology! Concerning our sable;
we now have seven GPS collars active, so I should be doing plenty of
animal movement analysis this year.

Considering the things you mentioned here and in previous email, I
really think we need a wiki soon. A page on the 'areas' debate would be
easier to interpret than all the specific emails to various lists. Also
Carlotta's 'how to' could find a pretty place in the wiki, for everybody
to comment on and maybe add to.

I had a good look at Plone/Zope and decided (IMHO) that it was not for
us. It is much to heavy on installation and maintenance and really
surpasses the small requirements our Animove wiki will have. MediaWiki
still seems to be the best option for our purposes! MediaWiki allows for
user administration, which means editing pages can be limited to
registered users, thus removing the trouble with spammers and other
hackers. The installation instructions do not look so daunting:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Installation_instructions

I hope you find some time in the next few weeks to look into this. I'm
sure other Animove enthusiasts are ready to contribute to the wiki!
First thing of course would be a logo! Anyone artistically inclined?

The wiki could include a list of users with a little description about
the projects they are involved in..... just getting excited, sorry.  ;-)

Cheers,

Sander.